Effective July 1, 2013, some Rio Salado College departments at the Tempe location will be changing their hours of operation. See below for the most current information.
Rio Salado provides information, resources, and services which promote a successful learning experience for students with disabilities. Depending upon the disability and the resources Rio Salado has available, students with documented disabilities may receive accommodations that include, but are not limited to, sign language interpreters, text in alternative format, readers/scribes, and extended test taking time.
Types of Service
Rio Salado College handles each student's request on an individual basis, given a reasonable time frame. Reasonable accommodations may include: extended test taking time, text in a alternative format, enlarged exams, and sign language interpreter. The student's accommodation request will be considered; however, alternative methods may be used, depending upon the student's disability and the resources Rio Salado has available.
The Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and the Americans with Disabilities Act Amendment Act (ADAAA) of 2008 require an institution of higher education to provide reasonable accommodations to a qualified individual with a documented disability, provided that accommodation does not create an undue hardship. An undue hardship refers to any accommodation that would be unduly costly, substantial, disruptive, or that would fundamentally alter the nature of the course or program.
Do I need documentation to support a request for an accommodation?
Yes, each applicant with a disability must provide documentation from a trained and qualified professional, verifying the nature and extent of the disability prior to receiving any accommodation.
Online Policy Manual
Are there specific eligibility requirements based on the type of disability?
Please contact Disability Services for more information on documentation.
- Physical Disability - Student must submit a written, current report which includes a diagnosis, a clear statement specifying functional manifestation, and recommendation for accommodation.
- Learning Disability - Student must submit a written diagnostic report of specific learning disability administered by a qualified professional that is based on current appropriate, comprehensive, psycho educational evaluations using adult normed instruments.
- Blind/Visual Impairment - Medical report stating restricted vision fields.
- Deaf/Hearing Impairment - Audiological evaluation indicating extent of hearing loss.
- Other/Hidden Disabilities - Evaluated on documentation and need.
The Disability Services Office is located in Student Enrollment Services at the main Rio Salado location, 2323 W. 14th St. in Tempe.
Hours of Operation
Monday-Thursday 8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
Friday: 9:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m.
Due to high student demand and staff availability, appointments are preferred.
How do I request services?
- Contact Terry Ferra, Manager Disability Resources & Services, at 480-517-8562 or email her at email@example.com. In-person appointments are available; however, Terry will be pleased to meet with you over the phone or through email.
- Fill out an online Request for Special Services.