The Presidents’ Honors Scholarship (PHS) covers in-state/in-county tuition up to 15 credit hours (plus the $15 registration fee) per semester, but does not apply to summer sessions. The scholarship covers up to four academic semesters (fall and spring).
Presidents’ Honors Scholarship Eligibility:
- Completion of a secondary education program in Maricopa County (including NCA-accredited, charter, private, religious high schools, homeschool), with a final, unweighted, GPA of 3.25 or higher.
- Enrollment at the Maricopa County Community College District (MCCCD) campus of their choice in the academic year (two academic semesters) following high school graduation or equivalency without having attended another accredited college or university before enrolling in a MCCCD campus (co-enrollment, dual enrollment, and summer session excluded)
- Lawful presence and in-county residency. Scholarships awarded by the Maricopa County Community College District (MCCCD) require students to have lawful presence in the United States and live in Maricopa County (referred to as "in-county residency"). You must complete the Student Declaration Form and submitting an approved HB2008 citizenship document. Students most commonly provide an Arizona driver’s license (front and back copy), U.S. Passport or birth certificate. Awards will be applied to your student account based on your establishment of eligibility and based on lawful presence in U.S. on HB2008 requirements and financial aid.
Required Application Materials:
- Completion of the Presidents’ Honors Scholarship application by clicking the green Apply Here button below (download and save the file, then fill it out, save it again, and email it to Riosalado.Honors@Riosalado.edu);
- An official final semester high school transcript must be sent via U.S. mail or official college electronic transfer system (e.g. Parchment) to the college Admissions and Records Office of the Maricopa County Community College that you plan to attend. A copy can also be sent to the college Honors Program Office. It must be impressed and sealed by the high school and show graduation date, and final cumulative grade point average. Please inquire with the college Honors Program for homeschool high school transcript guidelines. (Your scholarship cannot be awarded until your final transcript has been received. Please note that hand-delivered transcripts are not considered official.)
Your scholarship cannot be awarded until your final transcript has been received.
Once students apply and are accepted for the PHS, the following is required
- Maintain continuous enrollment as a full-time student for the four consecutive semesters;
- Successfully complete at least 12, letter-graded, credits each fall and spring semester;
- Successfully complete, with a grade of "C" or higher, at least one 3 credit Honors course each semester;
- Maintain a MCCCD cumulative grade-point-average of 3.25 or higher;
- Complete two Co-Curricular activities;
- Successfully complete HONORS100-00PHS non-credit course;
- Remain in good standing with Rio Salado College.
NOTE: Dual Enrollment grades that were taken during high school are counted in your cumulative GPA computation.
- Presidents' Honors Scholarship funds are awarded after all semester courses have passed their first week;
- A past due balance will show in your student center until disbursement of funds.
PHS Probation and Termination:
A Presidents' Honors Scholar whose cumulative Maricopa GPA, including ALL credits, falls below 3.25 but above 3.0 at the end of the first semester will be placed on probation. The student must raise the cumulative Maricopa GPA to 3.25 prior to beginning the third semester;
Students will not be eligible for renewal of the scholarship if:
- the cumulative Maricopa GPA, including ALL credits, is below 3.0 at the end of the first semester,
- they fail to complete their Honors coursework or a sufficient number of credit hours,
- they receive less than a “C” grade in their Honors course,
- they do not complete the minimum number of required co-curricular activities,
- they do not maintain a cumulative GPA above 3.25 from second semester to completion,
- they do not complete at least 12 credits in the semester
Honors Program students should not withdraw from courses or alter class schedules without first consulting the Honors Program. Refund, drop/add, and withdrawal policies, dates, and deadlines apply to all Honors Program students
This scholarship does not cover:
- Any expenses for pass/fail courses
- Exception: If pass/fail courses are required for specific degrees/programs, they fall within the scholarship guidelines.
- Tuition for summer session.
Spring 2019 Honors Class Schedule
Block Calendar Planning Tool