Scholarships awarded by the Maricopa County Community College District (MCCCD) require students to have lawful presence in the United States and live in Maricopa County (referred to as "in-county residency"). You must complete the Student Declaration Form and submitting an approved HB2008 citizenship document. Students most commonly provide an Arizona driver’s license (front and back copy), U.S. Passport or birth certificate. Awards will be applied to your student account based on your establishment of eligibility and based on lawful presence in U.S. on HB2008 requirements and financial aid. Note: See additional scholarship criteria for requirements which are described below.
Presidents' Honors Scholarship (PHS)
The Presidents' Honors Scholarship covers in-state/in-county tuition up to 15 credit hours (plus the $15 registration fee) per semester, but does not apply to summer sessions.
To be eligible to apply for the PHS, students must meet the following criteria, in addition to lawful presence and in-county residency:
- Completion of the Presidents’ Honors Scholarship application by clicking the green Apply Here button below;
- Placement into college-level English, Reading, and Math (see PHS application for exact scores required);
- Enrollment at the Maricopa Community College of their choice in the academic year (two academic semesters) following high school requirements (graduation from high school, completion of their GED, or receipt of the Grand Canyon Diploma) without having attended another accredited college or university before enrolling in a Maricopa Community College (summer session excluded);
- Fall under one of the following four pathways:
- Completion of a secondary education program in Maricopa County (including NCA-accredited, charter, private, religious high schools), with a final cumulative minimum 3.0 GPA and placement scores as noted above.
- Homeschooled student, with verification from parents, have a final cumulative minimum 3.0 GPA, and placement test scores as noted above.
- General Educational Development (GED) certificate completed within one academic year and placement test scores as noted above.
- Grand Canyon Diploma recipient completed within one academic year of application and placement test scores as noted above.
Required Application Materials for the PHS
- A signed MCCCD Presidents’ Honors Scholarship Agreement;
- An official final semester high school transcript must be sent via U.S. mail to the college Honors Office at the Maricopa Community College you plan to attend (transcript must be impressed and sealed by the high school and show your graduation date and final cumulative grade point average). Please inquire with the college Honors office for home school high school transcript guidelines.
- Your scholarship cannot be awarded until your final transcript has been received.
Once students apply and are accepted for the PHS, the following is required
- Maintain continuous enrollment as a full-time student for the four consecutive semesters;
- Successfully complete at least 24 letter-graded credits at the 100 level or above (Pass/Fail excluded) each academic year (a degree specific, required pass/fail courses may be within retention guidelines; must be verified with Honors Program);
- Successfully complete at least 12, letter-graded, credits each fall and spring semester;
- Successfully complete, with a grade of "C" or higher, at least one 3 credit Honors course each semester;
- Maintain a MCCCD cumulative grade-point-average of 3.25 or higher;
- Complete two Co-Curricular activities;
- Successfully complete HONORS100-00PHS non-credit course;
- Remain in good standing with Rio Salado College.
NOTE: Dual Enrollment grades that were taken during high school are counted in your cumulative GPA computation.
- Presidents' Honors Scholarship funds are awarded at the beginning of the fall semester;
- A past due balance will show in your student center until disbursement of funds.
PHS Probation and Termination:
- A Presidents' Honors Scholar whose cumulative Maricopa GPA, including ALL credits, falls below 3.25 but above 3.0 at the end of the first semester will be placed on probation. The student must raise the cumulative Maricopa GPA to 3.25 prior to beginning the third semester;
- Students will not be eligible for renewal of the scholarship if their cumulative Maricopa GPA, including ALL credits, is below 3.0 at the end of the first semester, they fail to complete their Honors coursework or a sufficient number of credit hours, do not complete the minimum number of required co-curricular activities, or maintain a cumulative GPA above 3.25 after the first semester;
- Honors Program students should not withdraw from courses or alter class schedules without first consulting the Honors Program. Refund, drop/add, and withdrawal policies, dates, and deadlines apply to all Honors Program students.
This scholarship does not cover:
- Any expenses for pass/fail courses (a) Exception: If pass/fail courses are required for specific degrees/programs, they fall within the scholarship guidelines.
- Tuition for summer session.
Fall 2018 Class Schedule
Block Calendar Planning Tool