Rio Salado College recycles. Recycling reduces the amount of waste sent to landfills, conserves natural resources and helps prevent pollution.
Through collaboration with the Recycle 1 family of companies, Rio Salado generates revenue for its recyclable materials. This means that every time students, employees and visitors recycle their trash at a Rio Salado College location, they are not only helping maintain a cleaner planet, they are also contributing to the success of the college.
Rio Salado is paid by the ton for all paper, cardboard, plastic and metal that is collected and compacted with other recyclable materials at Rio Tempe.
Recycling Drop Off
Employees and students are also encouraged to bring in recycling materials from home.
Recycling drop-off is available Monday-Friday from 7-9 a.m. at the compactor in the Southwest corner of the Hohokam Building at Rio Tempe.
Recyclables can be packaged in:
- Plastic Crates
- Plastic Bags (NOT GROCERY BAGS)
- Paper Bags
Place paper recycling in any blue bin located in office and common areas. Books are collected separately from other materials. Please place books in the “Books Only” bin located next to the compactor at Rio Tempe. Contact M&O if you have a large volume of books that you would like to recycle.
- Office paper
- Copy paper
- Slick/glossy paper
Place plastic recycling in the blue bins located in the office and common areas. Please rinse all plastic beverage and food containers first.
- Miscellaneous Plastics #1-7
- Water and soda bottles – PET #1
- Green strapping – PET #1
- Milk bottles and other beverage containers – HDPE #2
- Heavy containers such as buckets, drums, jugs, and bins – HDPE #2
- Gift cards, credit cards, window coverings, packaging trays – PVC #3
- Shrink-Wrap, polybags, clear wrapping and all non-grocery bags – LDPE #4
- Foam – Styrofoam – EPS (NO EGG CRATES FROM BEDDING)
- Industrial plastics such as Purgings, cornerboard, corrugated, and supersacks
- Engineering plastics such as nylon, ABS, PC, PEEK, PBT, and POM
Cardboard boxes should be flattened whenever possible and placed in or near the blue bins located in the office and common areas. Cardboard can also be placed in the “Cardboard Only” bin located next to the compactor at Rio Tempe.
If you have large heavy pieces of metal, please contact M&O to arrange a pickup.
- Aluminum soda and beverage cans
- Steel food cans
- Paper clips
Glass is collected separately from the other materials. Bottles, jars, and other containers should be placed near the blue bins located in office and common areas or in the “Glass Only” bin located next to the compactor at Rio Tempe. Please rinse all glass containers first.