What can a counselor do for me?
A counselor can assist you to set personal, educational, and career goals.
Contact a counselor:
- When you need to make a career decision.
- When you would like assistance with job search skills, resume writing, interview preparation.
- When you are experiencing obstacles that are interfering with your academic performance such as: lack of motivation, relationship issues, study skills, test anxiety, time management, stress.
What is the difference between online counseling and in-person counseling?
Online counseling uses email and instant messaging. Rio Salado counselors follow the Ethical Standards for Online Counseling approved by the American Counseling Association.
In-person counseling consists of scheduled appointments or phone conversations. Counselors respond to your concerns in an objective and nonjudgmental manner.
Are counseling appointments confidential?
The information provided in this service is confidential. Information is released only with the student's permission.
What is the difference between an advisor and a counselor?
An advisor is a staff person who has been trained to assist students with academic information and course selection.
Advisors help with:
- General information about admission, placement testing, courses of study, and registration procedures.
- Information on graduation requirements at Rio Salado College and other colleges or universities
- Course transfer information.
- Interpretation of placement scores and suggestions for appropriate classes.
A counselor is a service faculty member with a degree in counseling who works with students individually and in groups. Counselors assist students with educational/occupational and personal/social decision-making skills.
Counselors help with:
- Making decisions about educational and career goals.
- Balancing the roles of student, parent, spouse, partner, and/or employee.
- Managing stress and test anxieties.
- Resolving personal problems that may interfere with studies.
- Preparing for job search.
How do I make an appointment with a counselor?
Phone and In-Person Counseling is available for individuals or groups by appointment at the locations listed on the college locations map.
What if I Have an Emergency?
24 Hour Help Lines: Value Options
Crisis Telephone: 602-222-9444
24-hour crisis intervention. English and Spanish.
EMPACT - SPC
Eligibility: Youth, adults, couples and families experiencing parenting, behavioral, emotional, substance abuse or relationship problems.
Center Against Sexual Abuse (CASA)
24 HR Crisis Line: 602-254-9000
Online Directory of Human Services & Self-Help Support Groups
The Counseling Department at Rio Salado College does not assume responsibility for the quality of services provided by mental health agencies listed on the site. Inclusion on this list does not imply endorsement nor does omission indicate disapproval.