Borrowing Guidelines At-a-Glance
Rio Salado Students and Employees
Alumni and Community Borrowers
Rio Salado Students and Faculty
How do I get a library card?
Your College ID is your library card. The Maricopa Username/MEID number is your library card number. See College ID Cards for more information.
What is available to me in the Rio Library?
- Articles (online subscription databases of magazines, journals, newspapers, and more, require MEID username/password)
- eBooks (online full-text electronic books, require MEID username/password)
- Media (online streaming films and images, require MEID username/password)
- Books & DVDs (the online catalog). Items from the online catalog require in-person checkout at the library with a current photo ID.
How do I get a password for the online magazines and e-books?
Logging into the library databases uses the same formula as logging into an online RioLearn class. Review the Library login help instructions.
How long is the checkout period, and how many items can I check out ?
- Books = 28 days, one renewal
- Non-book items (DVDs, CDs) = 7 days, one renewal
- Number of items:
- Students: Limit 20 items / unlimited holds / 5 non-book items
- Faculty/Staff: Limit 20 items /unlimited holds /unlimited non-book items
- Alumni: Limit 10 items / 5 holds / 3 non-book items
- Community Borrowers: Limit 5 items / 5 holds / 3 non-book items
To renew, call the Rio Library at 480-517-8424, or renew online by connecting to Books & DVDs (the online catalog) and selecting My Account. Checkouts and renewals are not permitted for patrons who have current overdue items or who have unpaid fines.
Can I request Rio Library materials online?
Yes, you may request library materials by using the "Place Hold" option within a record in Books & DVDs (the online catalog).
Can I request materials that you do not have in the Rio Library?
Yes, you may request materials from any of the other MCCCD Libraries through Books & DVDs (the online catalog). You have the option of requesting where you would prefer to pick up these books--at any of the community college libraries or at the Rio Library.
Interlibrary loan service is available to current students and faculty/staff for books and articles that are not owned by the MCCCD Libraries. Requests may be placed online by using this Interlibrary Loan request form. You will need your MEID to request items. Call the Rio Library at 480-517-8424 if you need help in completing the online form.
Can I check out items from other Maricopa County Community College Libraries?
Yes, as a Rio Salado student you are able to check out materials from any of the Maricopa Community College Libraries. Be sure to take a photo ID with you and identify yourself as a Rio Salado student.
How do I return library materials?
You may return your library materials to the interior book drop outside the Rio Library on the 5th floor of the Rio Salado College Tempe location, or the drop box which is located in the parking lot of the building. You may also return items to any of the MCCCD College Libraries or Rio Salado College locations, or via U.S. Mail to the Rio Salado Library, 2323 West 14th Street, Tempe, AZ 85281.
What happens if I don't return my materials on time?
Please renew or return materials by the due date. Overdue notices are sent to a current email address as a courtesy reminder. Library books that are not returned after 28 days are considered lost, and these items will be billed to you at the list price, plus a $10 non-refundable late fee per item. Non-book items (DVDs, CDs, etc.) not returned after 14 days are considered lost, and these items will be billed at the list price along with a $10 non-refundable late fee per item.
Borrowers have 90 days from due date to return lost material and have the debt reversed, minus the non-refundable $10.00 processing fee. Also, after 90 days, previous payment for lost items that are subsequently found is not refundable. Unpaid bills and fines will prohibit students from registering for new classes or ordering transcripts, and may be sent to collections.
Alumni and Community Borrowers
Can MCCCD alumni or community residents obtain a library card from Rio Salado?
Yes, college alumni and current residents of Maricopa County are eligible to check out materials from the Rio Salado College Library. Community residents must be over 18 years of age.
- Community members may obtain an ID by using the MEID Wizard to create an account, or by registering in-person through Student Enrollment Services, located on the first floor of the Rio Salado Tempe location. Once you have registered, stop at the Rio Library Circulation Desk (located on the fifth floor) to have your library account created.
- Alumni whose MEID has expired can have borrowing privileges reactivated at the Library Circulation desk when checking out materials.
What types of material can alumni or community borrowers check out from the Rio Salado Library?
- Community borrowers may check out a maximum of 5 items, 3 of which may be non-book items.
- Alumni may check out up to 10 items, 3 of which may be non-book items.
Can alumni or community borrowers request materials from other Maricopa Community College District Libraries?
Yes, alumni and community borrowers may request items from other Maricopa Community College Libraries.