Registration & Getting Started
- What is my residency requirement for Degree Awarding?
You must complete 25% of the required credits toward your certificate or complete 12 semester hours for a degree at Rio Salado College.
- What is my residency requirement for Tuition Purposes?
- What do I do if a prerequisite is required for my course?
You will need to provide a copy of your previous college transcript or grade report reflecting the course and final grade to displays completion of the required prerequisite. You may need to take a Placement test if you do not currently meet the prerequisite requirements.
Academic Advisory: Some courses do have time restrictions to meet prerequisite approval, contact us at Military.Advisor@riosalado.edu if you have additional questions about prerequisites after submitting the Prerequisite Evaluation Request Form.
Courses, Homework, & Grades
- How do I register for classes?
If you're a New Student please visit Start at Rio Salado for Military.
If you are using Tuition Assistance for the Army, you must enroll with GoArmyEd. You can use these two links: to enroll in a class or use your course planner to enroll. Even if you are student funded and are serving the Army Branch, you must still register using GoArmyEd or they will not show that you've completed your course.
If you're not using Tuition Assistance, you can register in your Student Center on My.Maricopa.edu. However, Learn more about Adding a Class
You can also contact a Military Advisor at (800) 517-8590 or Military.Advisor@riosalado.edufor assistance with course selection.We receive your request within 24 hours and will send a confirmation once enrolled.
- When can I schedule to begin my class?
If you are using Tuition Assistance some branches take longer than others for Approval:
Army = 7 days prior to enrollment but courses close in GoArmyEd 2 weeks prior, contact Military Advisement if you're planning last minute and make sure you already have your course materials in advance. Remember, Rio Salado College is an LOI (Letters of Instruction) educational institution and all courses must be processed in GoArmyEd for approval.
Air Force, Marines; Coast Gaurd, Navy = 14 days Prior to chosen enrollment start date.
If you are paying out of pocket or setting up a Payment plan, You can begin courses on any available start date you'd like if not in a Block Schedule (Ex.Degree Seeking Student). If in Block, please utilize the Block Planning Tool
to help register your approved start dates.
- When will I have access to my class/classes?
You will be able to access your Rio Salado College course 7 days prior to your start date.
- How do I submit my homework assignments?
Please review your syllabus for each class, there will be information about homework submission. If you have a question regarding your homework, email your instructor for assistance.
- What will happen if I get behind in my assignments?
Contact your instructor immediately! Rio Salado courses will require weekly homework assignments. If you do not turn in your assignments for 14 consecutive days, there is the possibility that the instructor will withdraw you for excessive absence and give you a Y grade. If you foresee that you may not be able to do your homework for a period of time, contact your instructor to discuss an extension on the class. Please reference the College Catalog, Attendance Policy 2.3.2 Attendance: 1. Official Absences C. In the event of Military Commitments. (Page 280)
- What happens if I can't get a response from my Instructor and am experiencing course issues?
- How and when will I receive my grade?
Your instructor will keep you up-to date on grades for your assignments. Final grades are usually posted to your transcript 1-4 weeks after the end date of the class. You are able to access your grades through your Student Center.
Student Agreement Forms
- How do I get a Student Agreement Form (SAF)?
Before you can get a Student Agreement Form, you must complete a Transcript Evaluation Request Form. Once all prior credit has been evaluated towards a Degree program offered by Rio Salado College, you will be contacted by a Military Advisor to your student email. We will go over remaining course selections and results of your evaluation. Once completed, a copy of the SAF is sent to you as a courtesy via E-mail so that you can use it as a guide when selecting courses toward your Academic Program.
For GoArmyEd students a copy will be uploaded to GoArmyEd to be posted on the portal. You will be required to show your SAF to your education office and or sign, then upload your digital signed copy to the portal as well. Failure to complete this task may result in a Flag on your account holding you from enrollment until you have a Student Agreement on file. This process ranges from 5-7 business days once submitted to GoArmyEd.
If you are in-state, you can take your placement test at any of the Maricopa Community College testing locations. Just call in advance for their hours of operation. Here are Rio Salado Locations.
If you're out of state or out of country, You will need to fill out the Proctor Verification Form at Rio Salado Testing and submit it back to the Rio Salado College Testing Center. Then you can go to the Testing Office at your Education Center and take the exam.
When it comes to Placement test, you can also pay a fee to take it with Examity.com:
Placement Proctoring Process
Students NOT located in Maricopa county at the time of testing may arrange to take their placement exam(s) at an Approved Accuplacer Remote Testing location or use the approved Remote Virtual Online proctoring service: https://examity.com/.
Please note the following conditions:
Students who are out of the country may have limited test sites available. In this case, please contact the Rio Salado Testing center at 480-517-8560 or by email at email@example.com
- Remote testing is arranged for students located outside Maricopa County
- There may be proctoring fees required. The fee is the responsibility of the student.
Steps to setting up a placement exam:
If you have questions about your request or placement testing procedures, please contact Rio Salado College Testing at (480) 517-8560.
- Contact a testing center in your area (local college/university) to ask them if the test center is an Approved ACCUPLACER Remote Testing Location and if they are willing to proctor your ACCUPLACER math, reading or WritePlacer placement tests.
- Once you have confirmed your proctor is willing and able to administer your ACCUPLACER placement exams, please submit a Proctor Request Form here. State it will be with Proctor Name: https://examity.com/, Proctor Title: https://examity.com/, and Institution: https://examity.com/
- Your request may take 1-2 weeks to be processed and you will receive a confirmation email one your testing voucher has been sent to your proctor.
- Student will contact Proctor to set up and appointment to test. Please ensure to take your email confirmation with you to test.
For more information on ACCUPLACER Study Materials, Policies and Scores please click Here.
- If I have taken my Placement tests for English, Math and/or Reading, how do I find out which course I can take?
You can contact the Military Advisement Team at Rio Salado College by email at Military.Advisor@riosalado.edu or by phone at(480)517-8590 or toll-free at (800)517-8590 to request course placement results.
Transcripts & Degree Plans
- How do I change my program of study?
To change your program of study (a.k.a. Degree plan), you must notify your military advisor (1-800-517-8590) so that a new RioCompass program checklist can be created. You will also need to submit a Transcript Evaluation Form for any new program plan.
If you are a GoArmyEd student, you will need to use your VIA Tool to update your Degree Plan.
- How do I request my Previous College Transcripts?
You can go to www.findaschool.org which is a free database of links to colleges/universities worldwide to request transcripts from prior educational institutions.
- How do I request my Maricopa County Community College Transcripts?
- Where do I have my test scores and transcripts sent?
Rio Salado College does not require you to send SAT/ACT test scores. High School Transcripts or GED equivalency; in addition, to previous College Credit needs to be submitted directly to our Admissions and Records.
Mail transcripts to:
Rio Salado College
Admission and Records / Transcript Processing
2323 W. 14th St.
Tempe, AZ 85281-6950
- Do my transcripts have to be official or can they be copies?
For the purpose of a Transcript Evaluation Request, transcripts maybe Unofficial; however, if credit is applicable to the degree program an Official transcript must be sent to Admissions and Records directly from the institution or your education office.
- Who do I contact if I have questions about my Rio Salado transcript?
Military & International Transcripts
- How do I get credit for my military experience?
All military training and MOS/Rate duties will appear on your Joint Service Transcripts or CCAF transcript. These areas have been evaluated by the American Council on Education (ACE). An advisor at Rio Salado College will evaluate your military transcript, previous college courses, and CLEP/DANTES credits toward requirements of your degree or certificate goal. Keep in mind that not all training will be applicable toward your program of study; however, we will enter all military credits onto your Rio Salado College transcript.
- Where can I order my CCAF or Joint Service Transcript?
- How do I know if Rio Salado has received my military and/or college transcripts?
When we receive your transcripts, we will evaluate them and complete your Student Agreement Form (SAF). As college transcripts arrive, we will update your SAF with any courses that apply toward your academic program.
- How do I submit a transcript from an institution outside of the United States?
Most transcripts from Puerto Rican colleges can be evaluated by a Rio Salado College advisor. Transcripts from colleges in other countries will need to be sent first to an international credential evaluation service. There will be a fee for this service. Here is a list of the links to several of these agencies:
- When will I receive my textbooks?
You can place an order for your books at the Online Bookstore. Upon checkout, you will be sent an Estimated Time of Arrival (ETA) based on Zip or Country Code. Please, Be sure to allow plenty of time to ensure book arrival prior to the start date of your course.