What Hardware and Software Will I Need?
||Mac OSX v10.3
||2.6 GHz CPU Processor Speed
||PowerPC G4 or Greater
||3 GB RAM
||High-Speed Internet Connection
||32bit color Monitor/Graphics Card
Common needs for both platforms
- PC Users: Latest version of Chrome, FireFox, or Internet Explorer 10 or higher. Free Internet Explorer download
- Mac Users: Latest version of Chrome or FireFox
- A reliable Internet Service Provider
- Anti-virus software that is consistently updated against the latest threats
- Pop-up blockers either disabled during coursework or configured to allow pop-ups from riosalado.edu and rio.maricopa.edu
- Firewalls either disabled during coursework or configured to fully trust riosalado.edu and riolearn.org
- Latest Java Virtual Machine. Test your computer
- Additionally, you will need to have access to our web-based email system to send and receive e-mail messages, to participate in group discussions, and to post or send assignments. Some corporate networks block web-based email for security reasons.
Once you have accessed your email account, it is very important that you send a message to your instructor letting him/her know that you are able to send and receive email.
How do I get access to online courses?
- You will be responsible for obtaining your own Internet Service Provider.
- The provider cost is an additional cost; it is not included in the cost of the class.
Do I need to be a proficient Internet user to take this course?
- No, but you may experience the usual growing pains or "learning curve" that accompanies learning something new.
- Be patient and don't be afraid to ask for assistance.
- You should know basic word processing, how to send and receive mail, how to file and retrieve documents, and how to follow links on the WWW.
- Additionally, when you access your class, you will have a course orientation manual available to you online.
How do I get assistance when I am having a problem?
Visit the Technology Support Helpdesk for information on technology support availability.