Beginning August 2013, Rio Salado College's Education Department will require all new students to complete a Teacher Education Program Application prior to enrolling in the program. This application must be submitted two weeks before the start of the students’ EDU courses. Rio recommends the pre-determined scheduling option. Applications are now being accepted.
New students earning a bachelor's degree through Rio's Undergraduate Bachelor's Degree Pathway Partnership with Northcentral University must first complete their general education coursework prior to formally applying to the EDU Teacher Preparation Program.
EDU Program Application requirements include:
- Official Transcript - required as a part of EDU Teacher Education Program Application
- IVP Fingerprint Clearance Card - required even if student has submitted information for prior field experience
- Passing scores on five sections of the ACCUPLACER Exam (Early Childhood is exempt from Elementary Algebra)
- Two letters of recommendation - personal or professional
- Review Code of Ethics: In order to successfully enter and complete the Teacher Preparation Program, students must exhibit professional behavior at all times. This includes every interaction during their field experience and with Rio Salado staff.
- Haberman Star Teacher Pre-screener - The Star Teacher Pre-screener is an aptitude test which assists Rio Salado College to identify and develop a professional plan to ensure that each candidate reaches their fullest potential before entering the classroom. Applicants will need their student ID number in order to take the Star Educator Pre-screener.
- Teacher Education Program Admission Application packet - include a description of any teaching/volunteer/leadership experiences with Pre-K-12 students. **The new application does not include the student teaching request form.
Due to this change, students should start the application process a minimum of 8 weeks prior to the beginning of their program. This ensures that they receive their IVP Fingerprint Card in time.
Response to Intervention:
Response to Intervention begins at the initial application to the Teacher Preparation Program. It is a process for determining appropriate support to effectively assist students through the completion of their program. It can also help to identify alternative career and educational paths, more suited to the students’ needs. Students will be identified and notified if the Response to Intervention Process is appropriate. During the formal application process, if it is determined a student requires a tier of intervention or support is needed, the student will be notified and the Response to Intervention process will begin. Response to Intervention support is available to a student at any time in their program.
Response to Intervention (RTI)
Teacher Education Program & Admission Application Packet
By downloading this packet, I agree to the following Code of Ethics & Response to Intervention:
Code of Ethics: In order to successfully enter and complete the Teacher Preparation Program, students must exhibit professional behavior at all times. This includes every interaction during their field experience and with Rio Salado staff.
Response to Intervention: Students acknowledge awareness of the Response to Intervention process. Students can be identified and notified for the possibility of a tier of intervention at any time in their program of choice in the Teacher Preparation Program.
Teacher Education Application