ACCUPLACER is a computer adaptive test used to assess skills in reading, English and mathematics. Test scores are available immediately. The writing portion is a timed 60-minute test. All other tests are not timed, but you should allow approximately three to four hours to complete the set of exams. Current photo ID is required before you will be admitted to test.
- Post-Baccalaureate Students are required to take all 5 exams regardless of your degree. This is a program admissions requirement.
- ACCUPLACER testing is available on a walk-in first-come, first-serve basis. Please allow 3-4 hours to complete the exam. Locations and Hours
- Not all Maricopa Community Colleges offer the Teacher Education Accuplacer exams. It is recommended to take your exam at one of the Rio Salado sites. If you are out of county, please make sure your college offers the correct exams: WritePlacer, Sentence Skills, Reading, Arithmetic, Elementary Algebra.
- ACCUPLACER scores may not be any older than 5 years from the initial date of testing.
Please note: Students who do not achieve satisfactory levels on the Accuplacer will have a chance to re-test. If scores are still not at satisfactory levels, students have options to either (1) take an on-line tutorial; or (3) enroll in a class.
Students can take the ACCUPLACER a total of three (3) times, which consists of the initial exam and two (2) retests. Students who choose options (1) will have to re-test and achieve the satisfactory level for that subject area. If this level is not achieved, then the student must enroll in the appropriate class and pass with a “C” or better. For identified course work refer to the Accuplacer Score Report.
Successfully passing the course will represent satisfactory completion of this area. All students who complete the course with a “C” or better will not have to re-test. Achievement of satisfactory levels in these areas is required before you can formally apply for acceptance into the Teacher Prep Programs. *
*Students who need additional assistance are to contact the Testing Center to take ADVANCER prior to taking ACCUPLACER for the third time. If students do not meet the cut-off scores for the third time, then the only remaining option is to take the prescribed class (s).
- Study Guide (PDF)
- Recommended Tutorials: these tutorials can be used as study guides prior to taking the Accuplacer exam or used as intervention options
- Information for students living outside of Maricopa County, Arizona
- Online Proctor Verification form
- Accuplacer Score Report (PDF) -