Skip to main content

Contact Us

Ruby Miller, Associate Dean Student Affairs
Call Us
Fax Documents
Visit In-Person
Tower @ Rio, 1st floor
2323 W. 14th Street
Tempe, AZ 85281

International Education

Your Health

Immigration Documents

Before you leave your home country you should have a complete physical and dental examination. You should tell your doctor that you are going to study in the United States, possibly for several years. Ask your doctor what medical care or monitoring you might need while you are away from home for that long. Find out how you can get medication that you might need. Your home doctor or clinic might be able to help by referring you to a source for prescription drugs in the USA. Get copies of your medical records translated into English if your doctor recommends it. Have your teeth checked thoroughly by your family dentist. Get all of your dental work completed before you come to Arizona. There are excellent dental care facilities in Arizona, but dental work can be very expensive and it is not covered by most health insurance plans. If you need dental care or orthodontic care while you are in Arizona, talk to the International Education office for help locating a suitable facility.

Medical Insurance

Rio Salado College has a mandatory health insurance policy for international students. This means that you are required to purchase the Maricopa Community Colleges health insurance policy while you are enrolled here as a student.

Students will be given more details about health care and medical insurance during the orientation session.

For More Information

Office of International Education
Rio Salado College
2323 W. 14th St.
Tempe, AZ 85281
(480) 517-8416
(480) 517-8849 FAX

Contact: Rick Conchos, Director, College Student/Educ. Services

Tips for Arizona Living

The desert climate of Phoenix makes it a healthy place to live, but it is wise to remember a few important things. Because the air here is dry, it is very important to drink plenty of water every day. You may also find it necessary to use a moisturizing cream on your face and hands. If you are going to be in the sun participating in outdoor activities, use a sunscreen product on your face, arms, legs, etc.