How do I send a message to my instructor?
You can send a message to your instructor in the message center, from your course homepage, through your gradebook or from the course quick look.
- In the message center: click the "compose new" button in the top left corner of the page, select a class from the drop down menu, click your instructor's name to highlight it, and then click the arrow to move your instructor's name to the "selected recipients" field.
- In your course homepage: click the "send message" link under your instructor's name in the Contact Your Instructor section found in the middle of the page. Your instructor's name will automatically populate in the To field.
- In your gradebook: click the Send Message tab at the far right of the grey navigation bar. Your instructor's name will automatically populate in the To field.
- From your course quick look: click the message icon next to your instructor's name.
How do I retrieve my messages?
You can go to the message center from any page in RioLearn by clicking the green message icon at the top of the page. Your inbox is selected by default.
Do I have to use the message center?
Yes. If you are contacting your instructor regarding your Rio Salado College class, you should use the message center. Rio Salado College is not responsible for lost messages sent through other communication methods such as email or text.
Who can see the messages that I send through the message center?
Your instructor, the department chair, and (in some cases) a lead instructor will be able to see the messages you send through the message center.
Can I message other students in the RioLearn Message Center?
No. Message center messages are exclusively for course-related communication between students, instructors and faculty chairs. In some classes, you may be encouraged to interact with classmates using a class discussion board. You may also connect with Rio Salado Students using the RioLounge community on Google+.
How will I know I have a new message?
You will be notified of new messages in two ways. First, when you are signed in to RioLearn, the message icon at the top of the page will display a new message counter. You will also receive an email notification in your student Gmail account letting you know you have a new message.
What's the difference between email and messages?
For the purpose of your student experience at Rio Salado College, email refers to electronic communication sent to you through your student Gmail account. This may include promotional materials, student surveys, announcements, notifications and other important information. Messages are course-related communication between you and your instructor that is delivered to your RioLearn message center.
How do students benefit from the new message center?
Message center messages are limited to course-specific communication between you and your instructors. You will not receive promotional materials, unrelated notifications or surveys in your message center. In other words, you no longer have to worry about trying to find a message that's been buried in a pile of spam.
Why is there still an email icon in RioLearn?
The email icon in RioLearn is available as a courtesy to allow students to easily access their student email account. Note: The email icon does not include a new email counter.
Do I still need to check my Maricopa email?
Yes. Rio Salado College and the Maricopa County Community College District will still use your student Gmail account to contact you. This means student surveys, financial aid notifications and other important information will still be delivered to your student Gmail address. The RioLearn message center is ONLY for course-related communication. Note: The email icon in RioLearn does not include a new email counter. Students are encouraged to check their Maricopa student Gmail account at least once a day.
Can I opt out of the notification emails?
No. You can create a filter to help keep them organized and out of the way. [Link to instructions]
How do I create a filter for message center notifications in Gmail?
Follow the instructions below to create a filter for your message center notifications.
- On the Google Mail page, click on the small arrow on the right side of the search bar.
- In the "From" field enter: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Click the "Create filter with this search" link in the bottom right corner of the search box.
- Select the "Skip the Inbox" and "Apply the label" options.
- Click the Choose Label button and select "New Label" from the list of options.
- Create a label such as "Message Center" or "Awesomesauce" (it's your choice).
- Select the "Also apply filter to matching conversations" option.
- Click the blue "Create Filter" button.