The credit by examination program offers students with prior experience or education the opportunity to complete tests and apply for credit for the Maricopa Community Colleges Allied Health Courses. Credits for the Allied Health courses may be obtained by taking and passing the Healthcare Core Competency Assessment Tests or CATS.
Individuals must be a former or current Rio Salado student to receive credit.
Hours and Locations
Currently, the Allied Health exams are given at our Tempe Testing Center. No appointment is needed, all testing is on a walk-in basis. You must arrive with ample time to complete your test; we close promptly at our closing time.
2323 W. 14th Street
Tempe, AZ 85281
2nd floor of the Tower
Monday-Thursday: 8:00am to 9:00pm (last test administered at 6:00pm)
Friday: 8:00am to 5:00pm (last test administered at 2:00pm)
Saturday: 8:00am to 5:00pm (last test administered at 2:00pm)
Fees and Methods of Payment
- Fees are based on current cost per credit hour and due on the day of testing. Contact the testing center for more information regarding fees.
- Fees are non-refundable and are subject to change without prior notice.
The preferred method of payment for all transactions is by credit card (Visa, MasterCard, and American Express). Cashier's checks and money orders made payable to Rio Salado Community College are required when the cashier's office is not available to process payment. Cash is not an acceptable form of payment.
Picture identification is required. Candidates must present a current, valid, recognizable, state or federal issued photo ID in order to be admitted to a credit-by-examination testing room.
Titles & Descriptions
Each test module is a 60 question multiple-choice exam. Students are typically allotted 75 minutes to complete an exam module. Test questions cover a wide variety of content related to the course competencies. Please contact specific content department for more information regarding exam materials and policies.
- Students may find it useful to review course description and competency information available at the Maricopa Community Colleges' Curriculum website.
- Some students may also find it useful to consult a textbook that is currently used for the course. Consult the campus bookstore for current textbook selections. Sometimes, textbooks may also be available for review at a campus library.
- You must score 75% correct or better to pass each exam.
- After testing, your examination will be sent to a reviewer for grading and sent to the specific content department for processing. Once reviewed, you will be sent an email with the results of the assessment.
Credit and Transcripts
- Only grades of A, B, C or D earned as a result of this examination will be recorded in the student's academic record, however D grades will not be applied toward a Certificate of Completion.
- Students may NOT receive credit through the examination process for courses in which they have already received college credit.
- Credit earned through Credit by Examination is transferable within the Maricopa Community Colleges. It is strongly recommended that you check with your local college or university regarding credit transferability prior to registering for the exams.
- Credit awarded for HCC Credit by Examination will appear on your on your transcript, four to six weeks after completing the examination. To view this credit, please login to your Student Center at my.maricopa.edu.
You may take an exam only one time.
For more information about Rio Salado Colleges Certificates and Degree programs, please contact an academic advisor at 480-517-8580 or toll free at 800-729-1197 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.