The credit by examination program offers students with prior experience or education the opportunity to complete tests and apply for credit for the Maricopa Community Colleges Healthcare Core Courses (HCC courses). Credits for the HCC courses may be obtained by taking and passing the Healthcare Core Competency Assessment Tests or CATS.
Individuals must be a former or current Rio Salado student to receive credit.
Hours and Locations
Currently, the Healthcare Core Courses exams are given at our Tempe Testing Center. No appointment is needed, all testing is on a walk-in basis. You must arrive with ample time to complete your test; we close promptly at our closing time.
2323 W. 14th Street
Tempe, AZ 85281
2nd floor of the Tower
Monday-Thursday: 8:00am to 6:00pm
Fridays: 8:00am to 2:00pm
Fees and Methods of Payment
- $84 per credit hour fee that is paid on the day of the test.
- Fees are non-refundable after the exams have been administered. Exam fees are subject to change without prior notice.
The preferred method of payment for all transactions is by credit card (Visa, MasterCard, and American Express). Cashier's checks and money orders made payable to Rio Salado Community College are required when the cashier's office is not available to process payment. Cash is not an acceptable form of payment.
HCC Testing Fact Sheet
Picture identification is required. Candidates must present a current, valid, recognizable, state or federal issued photo ID in order to be admitted to a credit-by-examination testing room.
Titles & Descriptions
Each test module is a 60 question multiple-choice exam. Students are typically allotted 75 minutes to complete an exam module. Test questions cover a wide variety of content related to the course competencies.
- HCC 130 (requires successful completion of all modules HCC130AA-AF. Each module is taken as a separate test)
- HCC 145AA
- HCC 146 (requires successful completion of modules HCC145AA and HCC145AB)
- HCC 145 (requires successful completion of al modules HCC145AA-AC)
- Students may find it useful to review course description and competency information available at the Maricopa Community Colleges' Curriculum website.
- Some students may also find it useful to consult a textbook that is currently used for the course. Consult the campus bookstore for current textbook selections. Sometimes, textbooks may also be available for review at a campus library.
- You must score 75% correct or better to pass each exam.
- After testing, your examination will be sent to a reviewer for grading. This process can take up to 14 days. Once reviewed, you will be sent an email with the results of the assessment.
Credit and Transcripts
- Only grades of A, B, C or D earned as a result of this examination will be recorded in the student's academic record, however D grades will not be applied toward a Certificate of Completion.
- Students may NOT receive credit through the examination process for courses in which they have already received college credit.
- Credit earned through Credit by Examination is transferable within the Maricopa Community Colleges. It is strongly recommended that you check with your local college or university regarding credit transferability prior to registering for the exams.
- Credit awarded for HCC Credit by Examination will appear on your on your transcript, four to six weeks after completing the examination. To view this credit, please login to your Student Center at my.maricopa.edu.
You may take an exam only one time.
For more information about Rio Salado Colleges Certificates and Degree programs, please contact an academic advisor at 480-517-8580 or toll free at 800-729-1197 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.