The Addictions and Substance Use Disorders (ASD) offers 11 exams, covering material taught in courses required for the Certificates of Completion in Addictions and Substance Use Disorders programs. Most ASD exams are designed to correspond to one-semester courses, and allow students to demonstrate that they can meet the learning objectives for that course.
Individuals must be a former or current Rio Salado student to receive credit.
Hours and Locations
Currently, the Credit by Examination in Addictions and Substance Use Disorders is given at our Tempe Testing Center. No appointment is needed, all testing is on a walk-in basis. You must arrive with ample time to complete your test; we close promptly at our closing time.
2323 W. 14th Street
Tempe, AZ 85281
2nd floor of the Tower
Monday-Thursday: 8:00am to 6:00pm
Fridays: 8:00am to 2:00pm
Fees and Methods of Payment
- $84 per credit hour fee that is paid on the day of the test.
- Fees are non-refundable after the exams have been administered. Exam fees are subject to change without prior notice.
The preferred method of payment for all transactions is by credit card (Visa, MasterCard, and American Express). Checks and money orders made payable to Rio Salado Community College are also acceptable. Cash is not an acceptable form of payment.
Picture identification is required. Candidates must present a current, valid, recognizable, state or federal issued photo ID in order to be admitted to a credit-by-examination testing room.
- ASD102 – Communication skills in Treating Addiction – 3 credits
- ASD110 – Pharmacology of Substances of Abuse and Dependency – 3 credits
- ASD145 - AIDS and Addiction – 1 credits
- ASD150 – Principles of Self-Help Groups – 2 credits
- ASD161 – Beginning Clinical Documentation Skills – 3 credits
- ASD220 – Family Dynamics and Addiction – 3 credits
- ASD236 – Relapse, Recovery, and Addiction – 2 credits
- ASD245 – Co-Occurring Disorders – 2 credits
- ASD250 – Group Interventions – 3 credits
- ASD275 – Advanced Theory and Techniques in the Treatment of Addiction Disorders – 3 credits
- BHS205 – Therapeutic Intervention Models – 3 credits
- Students may find it useful to review course description and competency information available at the Maricopa Community Colleges' Curriculum website.
- Some students may also find it useful to consult a textbook that is currently used for the course. Consult the campus bookstore for current textbook selections. Sometimes, textbooks may also be available for review at a campus library.
After testing, your examination will be sent to a reviewer for grading. This process can take up to 14 days. Once reviewed, you will be sent an email with the results of the assessment.
Credit and Transcripts
- Only grades of A, B, C or D earned as a result of this examination will be recorded in the student's academic record, however D grades will not be applied toward a Certificate of Completion.
- Students may NOT receive credit through the examination process for courses in which they have already received college credit.
- Credit earned through Credit by Examination is transferable within the Maricopa Community Colleges. It is strongly recommended that you check with your local college or university regarding credit transferability prior to registering for the exams.
- Credit awarded for ASD Credit by Examination will appear on your on your transcript, four to six weeks after completing the examination. To view this credit, please login to your Student Center at my.maricopa.edu.
You may take an exam only one time. If you fail to receive a passing score, you will need to register for the course, pay full tuition, and complete the course as designed.
For more information about Rio Salado Colleges Certificates and Degree programs, please contact an academic advisor at 480-517-8580 or toll free at 800-729-1197 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.