Credit by Examination in Corrections Technology is available to Department of Corrections personnel who are interested in earning college credit can do so by completing examinations that demonstrate mastery of their Correctional Officer Training course competency components.
- Individuals who have graduated from an approved Corrections Academy, COTA or GEO group.
- The regular rate for Credit by Examination is $84 per credit hour.
- The contract rate for college education partners is $42 per credit hour. (Contact Rio Salado College Advisement [480-517-8540], for a list of contract partners.)
- Fees are non-refundable after the exams have been administered. All fees are subject to change without prior notice.
- Fees must be paid in certified funds (cashier's check, money order) when cashier's office is not available to process payments.
Process for Applicants Inside Maricopa County, AZ
- Complete an Exam Application Form and present it along with your proof of certification/graduation (copy of Academy Certificate or Graduation Diploma) and payment at the Tempe Testing Center.
- Testing is available on a walk-in basis at our Tempe Testing Center.
- You must have a current, valid, recognizable, state or federal issued photo I.D.
Process for Applicants Outside Maricopa County, AZ
- Department of Corrections personnel may attempt to earn up to 21 credits through the Credit by Examination process and apply them toward the requirements for the Corrections Technology Degree program.
- These 21 credits constitute the required courses needed for the Certificate of Completion in Corrections Technology. These credits represent 21 of the 64 credits needed for an Associate of Applied Science (AAS) Degree in Corrections Technology
- Only grades of A, B, C or D earned as a result of this examination will be recorded on the student’s academic record, however D grades will not be applicable toward the Corrections Technology Certificate or degree requirements.
- Students may NOT receive credit through the examination process for courses in which they have already received college credit.
- Credit earned through Credit by Examination is transferable within the Maricopa Community Colleges. It is strongly recommended that you check with your local college or university regarding credit transferability prior to registering for the exams.
- Individuals must be a former or current Rio Salado student to receive credit.
List of Resource Materials and Exam Study Guides
- LET160 – Correctional System Ethics and Professionalism - 1 Credit
- LET162 – Introduction to Inmate Management - 3 Credits
- LET164 – Correctional Information Systems - 1 Credit
- LET166 – Correction Officers Safety and Weapon Training - 2 Credits
- LET168 – Inmate Security Procedures - 2 Credits
- LET169 – Inmate Security Procedures II - 3 credits
- LET170 – Security, Custody and Control Procedures - 2 Credits
- LET172 – Conflict and Crisis Management - 2 Credits
- LET176 – Medical and Mental Health - 2 Credits
- LET178 – Physical Fitness and Self Defense Training - 3 Credits
For more information on the Associate of Applied Science Degree program from Rio Salado or the Bachelors of Arts Degree program from Ottawa University, please contact an academic advisor at (480) 517-8580 or email@example.com
Questions? Feel free to give us a call! 480-517-8560.