Credit by Examination in Corrections Technology is available to Department of Corrections personnel who are interested in earning college credit can do so by completing examinations that demonstrate mastery of their Correctional Officer Training course competency components.
- Individuals who have graduated from an approved Corrections Academy, COTA or GEO group.
Hours and Locations
Currently, the Corrections Departmental Challenge Exams are given at our Tempe Testing Center. Please contact the Testing Center to schedule an appointment. You must arrive with ample time to complete your test; we close promptly at our closing time.
2323 W. 14th Street
Tempe, AZ 85281
2nd floor of the Tower
Monday-Thursday: 8:00am to 9:00pm (last test administered at 6:00pm)
Friday: 8:00am to 5:00pm (last test administered at 2:00pm)
Saturday: 8:00am to 5:00pm (last test administered at 2:00pm)
- Fees based on the current cost per credit hour and due on the day of testing. Please contact the testing center for more information regarding fees.
- The contract rate for college education partners is available. (Contact Rio Salado College Advisement at 480-517-8540, for a list of contract partners and rates.)
- Fees are non-refundable and are subject to change without prior notice.
- Fees must be paid in certified funds (Student Business Services check, money order) when Student Business Services office is not available to process payments.
Applicants Outside of Maricopa County, AZ
- Department of Corrections personnel may attempt to earn up to 21 credits through the Credit by Examination process and apply them toward the requirements for the Corrections Technology Degree program.
- DOC personnel must present proof of certification/graduation (copy of Academy Certificate or Graduation Diploma) prior to examination.
- These 21 credits constitute the required courses needed for the Certificate of Completion in Corrections Technology. These credits represent 21 of the 64 credits needed for an Associate of Applied Science (AAS) Degree in Corrections Technology
- Only grades of A, B, C or D earned as a result of this examination will be recorded on the student’s academic record, however D grades will not be applicable toward the Corrections Technology Certificate or degree requirements.
- Students may NOT receive credit through the examination process for courses in which they have already received college credit.
- Credit earned through Credit by Examination is transferable within the Maricopa Community Colleges. It is strongly recommended that you check with your local college or university regarding credit transferability prior to registering for the exams.
- Individuals must be a former or current Rio Salado student to receive credit.
List of Resource Materials and Exam Study Guides
- For further information regarding Corrections Challenge exams and availability, please contact Public Safety Programs.
For more information on the Associate of Applied Science Degree program from Rio Salado or the Bachelors of Arts Degree program from Ottawa University, please contact an academic advisor at 480-517-8580 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Feel free to give us a call! 480-517-8560.