Credit by Examination in Law Enforcement Technology is available to current or former full authority, certified Law Enforcement Officers who are interested in earning college credit for their academy training. The program consists of seventeen written examinations, which test your knowledge of the course competencies.
- Individuals who have graduated from a certified academy, state licensed/certified police academy or have been licensed/certified as a peace officer by a state.
Hours and Locations
Currently, the Law Enforcement Departmental Challenge Exams are given at our Tempe Testing Center. Please contact the Testing Center to schedule an appointment. You must arrive with ample time to complete your test; we close promptly at our closing time.
2323 W. 14th Street
Tempe, AZ 85281
2nd floor of the Tower
Monday-Thursday: 8:00am to 9:00pm (last test administered at 6:00pm)
Friday: 8:00am to 5:00pm (last test administered at 2:00pm)
Saturday: 8:00am to 5:00pm (last test administered at 2:00pm)
- Fees based on the current cost per credit hour and due on the day of testing. Please contact the testing center for more information regarding fees.
- The contract rate for college education partners is available. Contact Rio Salado College Advisement at 480-517-8540 for a list of contract partners and rates or See if you are eligible for the contract rate.
- Fees are non-refundable and are subject to change without prior notice.
- Fees must be paid in certified funds (cashier's check, money order) when Student Business Services office is not available to process payments.
Applicants Outside of Maricopa County, AZ
- Review the proctor guidelines. Proctoring is only available for individuals outside of Maricopa County, AZ
- Submit the Proctor Request Form.
- Submit an exam application form, proof of certification/graduation and the appropriate fees.
- Law Enforcement personnel must present proof of certification/graduation (copy of Academy Certificate, POST Certification or Graduation Diploma) prior to exam administration.
- An evaluation form will be sent to your Chief Administrator. S/He will assign an appropriate assessing authority to complete this evaluation. This evaluation will be sealed and returned to Rio Salado Testing Center. Final grades will NOT be credited until this evaluation has been returned. The evaluation is worth 37.5% of your overall grade. LET150 and LET151 grades will be the average of the written test and the evaluation.
- Law Enforcement personnel may attempt to earn up to 39 credits through the Credit by Examination process and apply them toward the requirements for the Law Enforcement Technology Degree program..
- These 39 credits constitute the required courses needed for the Certificate of Completion in Law Enforcement Technology. These credits represent 39 of the 64 credits needed for an Associate of Applied Science (AAS) Degree in Law Enforcement Technology.
- Only grades of A, B, C or D earned as a result of this examination will be recorded on the student’s academic record, however D grades will not be applicable toward the Law Enforcement Technology Certificate or degree requirements.
- Students may NOT receive credit through the examination process for courses in which they have already received college credit.
- Credit earned through Credit by Examination is transferable within the Maricopa Community Colleges. It is strongly recommended that you check with your local college or university regarding credit transferability prior to registering for the exams.
- Individuals must be a former or current Rio Salado student to receive credit.
- For further information about Law Enforcement Technology exams, please contact the LET Department.
List of Resource Materials and Exam Study Guides
For more information on the Associate of Applied Science Degree program from Rio Salado or the Bachelors of Arts Degree program from Ottawa University, please contact an academic advisor at (480) 517-8580 or firstname.lastname@example.org