Placement testing is required for the following before enrolling in courses:
- All students new to college
- All program-seeking students
- Students taking their first college level English, Reading, or Math class
- Students taking a class that requires English, Reading, or Math as a prerequisite
- Students for whom English is not their primary language
- Students in the teacher prep program
Placement Testing is available at seven testing centers conveniently located throughout Maricopa County. Click for hours and locations.
Students living outside of Maricopa County may request to have their exams proctored at an approved proctor site. Click for more information about exam proctoring.
You can also see District Wide Placement Scores here.
Placement Testing Information
- Course placement scores, with the exception of the reading exemption scores, will be valid for two years from the date of the original or re-test assessment.
- All testing requires students to present a current, valid, recognizable, state or federal issued photo ID.
- ACCUPLACER test is an untimed, computerized test for English, Reading and Math in a multiple choice format. More information about ACCUPLACER.
- CELSA (Combined English Language Skills Assessment) is a computerized test used for course placement into the English as a Second Language program for both English and Reading. More information about CELSA.
- HESI-A2 is a computer based exam required for students applying to the Maricopa Community Colleges District Nursing Programs. More information about HESI-A2.