Due to system maintenance, Rio Salado College will not be offering Accuplacer placement exams on Saturday, October 18th.
ACCUPLACER is a suite of tests that determines your knowledge in math, reading and writing as you prepare to enroll in college-level courses. ACCUPLACER is used to identify your strengths and weaknesses in each subject area and to help you improve your skills through interactive online learning tools. The results of the assessment, in conjunction with your academic background, goals and interests, are used by academic advisors and counselors to place you in the appropriate college courses that meet your skill level.
- All students new to college
- All program seeking students
- Students taking their first college level English, Reading or Math class
- Students taking a class that requires English, Reading or Math as a prerequisite
- Students in the teacher prep program
Hours and Locations
- Placement Testing is available at eight testing centers conveniently located throughout Maricopa County.
- Students living outside of Maricopa County may request to have their exams proctored at an approved proctor site.
- Testing is available on a walk-in basis. Please make sure that you arrive at least 60 minutes before we close.
Fees and Methods of Payment
- Placement tests are provided at no charge to students.
- You must have a current, valid, recognizable, state or federal issued photo ID.
- We also require that you have a Student ID number. For information about Student ID numbers, please contact Admissions via e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org or via phone at 480-517-8540
ACCUPLACER General Information
- ACCUPLACER assessments are delivered in multiple-choice format with the exception of the WritePlacer®, a written essay assessment.
- ACCUPLACER assessments are computer-adaptive. Questions are selected based on your skill level; in other words, your response to one question determines the difficulty level of the following question.
- ACCUPLACER tests are untimed; however, it is important to allow yourself enough time to complete the test since test results are a key factor in determining the course(s) you can enroll in.
- ACCUPLACER is a placement test so you cannot fail it! It is only used to enroll you in the appropriate course. We offer courses at every level so there are options available for all students.
Titles & Descriptions
- Open Educational Resources (PDF)
- Prepare for ACCUPLACER
- Preparation Sample
- Test Soup
- WritePlacer Study Material (PDF)
- WritePlacer Guide with Sample Essays (PDF)
- Math Practice Placement Reviews
- You will receive the score report as soon as you complete testing.
- To view or print your test scores from the Student Information System, go to my.maricopa.edu and log-in with your MEID and password. A link for Test Scores appears under Academic History with a Course Placement Chart.
- Course placement scores, with the exception of the reading exemption scores, will be valid for two years from the date of the original or re-test assessment.
- District Wide Placement Scores are available online.
- We will accept ACCUPLACER scores from other colleges as long as the test was taken within the last 2 years. Please have the school where you took the test fax the score report to Academic Advising: 480-377-4899.
- Students will be permitted one re-test in English, reading or math level after at least a 24-hour waiting period. One additional re-test is permitted no sooner than three months from the oldest valid score date at any course placement testing site.
For more information, contact the Tempe Testing Center at 480-517-8560 or 866-517-8560 or by e-mail at Testing.RioLearn@riosalado.edu