There can be two reasons for this:
First, if you are receiving chapter 33 benefits and your percentage of eligibility is less than 100%, you will be responsible for whatever portion is not covered by the VA (i.e. your percentage is 70%, VA pays 70% and you are responsible for the remaining 30%). To find out your eligibility percentage, please contact the VA at 1-888-442-4551.
Second, please note that effective August of 2011, The VA will only pay for the in-state tuition costs at all institutions. If you are receiving CH33 benefits and are taking courses as a distance learning student, you tuition rate is greater than the cost of in-state tuition. Please note that you are responsible for the remaining tuition that is due.
If you receive CH33 at the 100% level and are a distance learning student, you may qualify for the Yellow Ribbon program. Contact the Veterans Services office for more information.