On November 21, 2011, Congress passed and President Obama signed into law the VOW to Hire Heroes Act of 2011. Included in this new law is the Veterans Retraining Assistance Program (VRAP). VRAP offers up to 12 months of training assistance to unemployed Veterans.
Program Eligibility Requirements
The Veterans Retraining Assistance Program (VRAP) offers 12 months of training assistance to Veterans who:
- Are at least 35 but no more than 60 years old
- Are unemployed on the date of application
- Received an other than dishonorable discharge
- Are not eligible for any other VA education benefit program (e.g.: the Post-9/11 GI Bill, Montgomery GI Bill, Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment Assistance)
- Are not in receipt of VA compensation due to un-employability
- Are not enrolled in a federal or state job training program
- The program runs running through April 31, 2014. Participants must attend full-time in order to receive up to 12 months of assistance equal to the monthly full-time payment rate under the Montgomery GI Bill–Active Duty program. See the VRAP website for more information http://benefits.va.gov/vow/education.htm
- Participants must be enrolled in 3 consecutive semesters during the 12 month program; with no lapses in between semesters.
- Students must maintain good academic standing throughout the entirety of the program.