Contact Your Assigned Advisor
An advisor helps you to identify specific classes to meet the requirements of your intended degree, certificate or program at Rio Salado College. You are required to speak with an advisor if you are pursuing any of these academic achievements.
Your advisor is assigned to you by the specific program you are seeking at Rio Salado College. Your advisor can help you select classes and create a plan to complete your goal.
Identifying Your Assigned Advisor
- Log in to RioLearn.
- Your assigned academic advisor displays in the right column.
- See email and phone information for your assigned advisor. You can use the “schedule appointment” button to schedule a meeting with your advisor. The meeting can be done by phone, through Zoom, or online chat.
The name of your advisor displays within 24 hours of admission. If you do not see this information within that time frame, or have questions, please call 480-517-8580 or 800-729-1197.
Track Your Progress Online Tools
You can track your progress using online tools, including RioCompass and your Degree Progress Report in your Student Center at my.maricopa.edu. Your assigned academic advisor will help you make a plan for your educational and career goals aided by these tools.
Official transcripts for any classes you completed outside of the Maricopa Community Colleges network must be sent directly from that institution to Rio Salado college before they display on your Degree Progress Report (pending evaluation). The evaluation process takes up to 10 business days after your transcripts are received.
Watch this video to learn about three important online tools you'll use as a Rio Salado student
Are you new to College?
If you are new to college with no prior college credit and are pursuing a degree, you are required to complete the New Student Orientation and consult with your academic advisor before enrolling in classes.
The New Student Orientation (NSO101) explores helpful topics, including college success tips, college policies and resources, financial literacy, wellness and how to navigate through your RioLearn classroom. RioLearn is the college's online learning portal. NS0101 is a free, non-credit resource to help you be successful in reaching your goals at Rio Salado.
Registering for Classes
Before You Register for Classes, Learn about Block Calendar
If you plan to earn a degree or certificate at Rio Salado College, you must register for classes and choose a start date that will determine your Block Calendar. This video explains how the Block Calendar works.
Note: Rio Salado's system automatically drops any class in which you register that is set to start or end outside of your assigned block.
Prerequisite Requirement (for Some Classes)
If the class you want has a prerequisite requirement from outside the Maricopa Community Colleges network, you can submit unofficial transcripts along with the Prerequisite Verification Request Form.
- Rio Salado's prerequisite approval process
- Prerequisite Verification Request Form (In-State AZ) (fillable form)
- Prerequisite Verification Request Form (Out-of-State) (fillable form)
How to Register for Classes
2. Click the Add a Class option under Enrollment.
3. Select the row that has the Term and Institution (Rio Salado College) you want. Then, click Continue.
4. If you know the number for the class in which you want to enroll, enter it in the Enter Class Nbr field. Then, then click Enter.
OR, if you want to first browse for classes, see instructions 4a. – 4d. located further below.
5. Select the Start Date for the class, then click Next.
6. You can use Search to explore or add more classes to your online shopping cart. Then, click Proceed to Step 2 of 3.
7. Review your class selection. If it’s the class you want, click Finish Enrolling.
(Instructions 4a. – 4d. - Searching for Classes)
4a. To browse classes, select the Search for Classes option under Find Classes. Then, click Search.
4b. Click Select Subject to browse three-letter course prefixes (for example: ENG, PSY, MAT). Enter the three-letter course prefix in the Subject box. Then click Search.
4c. Locate the Class and Section you want, then click Select in that row.
4d. Refer to steps 5. – 7. above to add more classes or to finish enrolling.
For assistance with the admissions application process, email email@example.com or call 480-517-8540.