The Certificate of Completion (CCL) in Workforce Development: Foundations in Addictions and Substance Use Disorders program is designed to provide the incarcerated person with a foundational perspective of professions in the alcohol and drug abuse rehabilitation field. Courses focus on professional ethics, the evolution of alcohol and drugs, related abuse; including, addiction and mental disorders, categories of substances, and pharmacology. Beginning professional counseling skills and record-keeping will be covered.
Permission of Department or Division is required for admission to the Workforce Development and Community Re-Entry program.
Students must earn a grade of C or better for all courses required within the program.
This program is not eligible for Title IV Federal Financial Aid.
|Course #||Course Title||Credits|
|ASD100||Foundations of Addictions and Substance Use Disorders||3|
|ASD102||Communication Skills in Treating Addiction||3|
|ASD110||Pharmacology of Substances of Abuse and Dependency||3|
|ASD120||Professional Ethics in Addictions and Substance Use Disorders (1) OR|
|ASD145||AIDS and Addiction (1)||1|
|ASD150||Principles of Self-Help Groups (2) OR|
|ASD161||Beginning Clinical Documentation Skills (3) OR|
|ASD165||Theories and Techniques in the Treatment of Addictions (2)||2-3|
- Examine the history of drugs of abuse and addiction. (ASD100)
- Identify symptoms of addictions and substance use disorders. (ASD100)
- Review roles and responsibilities of addictions counselors. (ASD100, ASD102, ASD120, ASD161, ASD165)
- Summarize counselor ethics and standards of practice. (ASD100, ASD120, ASD161, ASD165)
- Differentiate between Human Immunodeficiency Virus (HIV) and Acquired Immunodeficiency Syndrome (AIDS). (ASD145)
- Describe addiction prevention and treatment modalities. (ASD100, ASD145, ASD150, ASD165)
- Differentiate between self-help groups and counseling. (ASD102, ASD150)
- Explain professional counseling skills as they relate to the addicted client and family members. (ASD102, ASD161, ASD165)
- Evaluate and demonstrate effective communication skills for counseling. (ASD102, ASD161, ASD165)
- Describe the effect of various categories of substances of abuse on the human physiological system. (ASD110)
- Review the psychological and pharmacological effects of substance abuse. (ASD110)
- Summarize the effects of chronic substance abuse on development. (ASD110)
- Explain the physiological effects of detoxification of various categories of substance abuse. (ASD110)
- Summarize fundamental principles, concept and historical antecedents of various self-help groups. (ASD150)
- Analyze counseling concepts inherent to the twelve steps. (ASD150)
- Demonstrate appropriate beginning counseling and record keeping skills. (ASD161, ASD165)
At Maricopa, we strive to provide you with accurate and current information about our degree and certificate offerings. Due to the dynamic nature of the curriculum process, course and program information is subject to change. As a result, the course list associated with this degree or certificate on this site does not represent a contract, nor does it guarantee course availability. If you are interested in pursuing this degree or certificate, we encourage you to meet with an advisor to discuss the requirements at your college for the appropriate catalog year.