The Expanded Functions Dental Assistant (EFDA) course is designed to prepare students to meet the Arizona State Board of Dentistry’s requirements to apply for the Arizona Expanded Functions – Restorative Certificate. The course is a blend of academic and clinical laboratory competency with an emphasis on anatomy, restorative and temporization procedures. This course prepares students to take the DANB® examinations and to work in conjunction with a supervising dentist to complete clinical competencies for certification.
This non-credit course is open to dental assistants and licensed dental hygienists in Arizona.
The 10-week course consists of self-paced online lessons and three in-person lab sessions on three consecutive Saturdays from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. at:
- Rio Salado Dental Clinic
2250 W. 14th St.
Tempe, AZ 85281
Students will perform expanded function restorative procedures including amalgam, composites, indirect temporary restoration, stainless steel crown, occlusion considerations, infection control and caries prevention in a clinical lab environment.
After completing the course, the student will work with their supervising dentist to complete the clinical portion for certification as defined by ARS 32-1291.01 (https://dentalboard.az.gov/applications-forms/other-applications).
Tuition is $2,300 and includes all lab materials, including typodonts and dental instruments, and PPE is provided. If you require special PPE, please provide your own.
Upcoming Course Dates
- 1/ 6/20 - 3/14/20 with in-person lab dates on 2/22, 2/29, and 3/7
- 3/16/20- 5/23/20 with in-person lab dates on 5/2, 5/9, and 5/16
- 6/1/20 - 8/8/20 with in-person lab dates on 7/25, 8/1 and 8/8
- 8/17/20 - 10/24/20 with in-person lab dates on 10/10, 10/17 and 10/24
There are no Prerequisites for dental hygienists. To obtain the EFDA certificate, dental assistants must also have:
- Arizona Coronal Polishing Certificate, issued by DANB®
- Arizona Radiologic Proficiency Certificate, issued by DANB®
- CDA (Certified Dental Assistant) certificate, issued by DANB® OR
- Verify 3500 hours of dental assisting experience
Topics Covered Within the EFDA Course
- Head and Neck Anatomy (3 CEUs)
- Dental Morphology (3 CEUs)
- Oral Pathology (3 CEUs)
- Infection Control (3 CEUs)
- Oral Health Prevention (3 CEUs)
- Fluoride (including Silver Diamine Fluoride)
- Caries Process
- Restorative Techniques (8 CEUs)
- Stainless Steel Crowns
- In-Person Labs (24 CEUs)
Arizona Qualification to Perform Specific Restorative Functions
- Hold the Arizona Coronal Polishing certificate and Arizona Radiologic Proficiency certificate.
- Successfully complete an ASBDE-approved EFDA training course at an institution accredited by the Commission on Dental Accreditation (CODA) AND
- Pass DANB’s Anatomy, Morphology and Physiology (AMP)**, Temporaries (TMP) and Restorative Functions (RF) exams, AND
- Under the supervision of a licensed dentist, perform restorative procedures required by the ASBDE
- Place, contour and finish 20 direct restorations
- Place and cement 5 prefabricated crowns
- These procedures must be completed following the preparation of the tooth by a licensed dentist and document these procedures on a Licensed Dentist Endorsement form.
- Apply for the AZRF certificate by submitting a completed application with the required documentation to DANB.
**A Registered Dental Hygienist (RDH) is not required to take the RHS, CP and AMP DANB exams.
DANB® at https://www.danb.org/
Arizona State Board of Dental Examiners at https://dentalboard.az.gov/
Registration Information Contact
Please contact Patricia Price at 480-517-8746 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org