Hardware and Software Needs for Taking Classes
|Operating System||Windows 10||Mac OSX v10.15|
|Computer Processor||2.6 GHz CPU Processor Speed||PowerPC G4 or Greater|
|Computer Memory||3 GB RAM|
|Internet Connection||High-Speed Internet Connection|
|Graphics||32bit color Monitor/Graphics Card|
Common needs for PC and Mac Users
- PC Users: Latest version of Chrome, FireFox, or Microsoft Edge
- Mac Users: Latest version of Chrome or FireFox
- A reliable Internet Service Provider
- Anti-virus software that is consistently updated against the latest threats
- Pop-up blockers either disabled during coursework or configured to allow pop-ups from riosalado.edu and riolearn.org
- Firewalls either disabled during coursework or configured to fully trust riosalado.edu and riolearn.org
- Latest Java Virtual Machine. Test your computer
- Additionally, you will need to have access to our web-based email system to send and receive e-mail messages, to participate in group discussions, and to post or send assignments. Some corporate networks block web-based email for security reasons.
Important Note - Contact Your Instructor
When you have access to your email account, you must send a message to your instructor stating that you are able to send and receive email.
Accessing Online Classes
- You are responsible for providing your own Internet Service Provider.
- You are responsible for paying your Internet Service Provider. This cost is not included in the cost for a class.
Internet Experience Needed to Take a Class
- While you do not need to be a proficient internet user, you may experience a learning curve that can occur when something is new.
- Be patient and don't be afraid to ask for assistance.
- Knowledge of basic word processing, sending and receiving mail, online filing and document retrieval, and how to follow links on the Internet is helpful.
- When you access your class, you will have a course orientation manual available to you online.
Getting Help With Using Technology
Visit the Technology Support Helpdesk for information on technology support availability.