Presidents’ Honors Scholarship
The Presidents’ Honors Scholarship (PHS) covers tuition for in-county (Maricopa County) tuition of up to 15 credit hours, as well at the $15 registration fee each semester. The scholarship covers up to four academic fall and spring semesters.
Scholarship candidates must have:
- Completion of a secondary education program in Maricopa County (including NCA-accredited, charter, private, religious high schools, homeschool) with a final, unweighted, GPA of 3.25 or higher.
- Enrollment at the Maricopa County Community College District (MCCCD) campus of their choice within one academic year (two academic semesters) following high school graduation or equivalency without having attended another accredited college or university (co-enrollment, dual enrollment and summer session excluded).
- Lawful presence and in-county residency. Scholarships awarded by the MCCCD require students to have lawful presence in the United States and live in Maricopa County (referred to as "in-county residency").
You must complete the Student Declaration Form and submitting an approved HB2008 citizenship document. Students most commonly provide an Arizona driver’s license (front and back copy), U.S. Passport or birth certificate. Awards will be applied to your student account based on your establishment of eligibility and based on lawful presence in U.S. on HB2008 requirements and financial aid.
Required Application Materials
- Completion of the online PHS application.
- An official final semester high school transcript must be sent via U.S. mail or official college electronic transfer system (e.g. Parchment) to the college Admissions and Records Office of the Maricopa County Community College that you plan to attend.
A copy can also be sent to the college Honors Program Office. It must be impressed and sealed by the high school and show your graduation date and final cumulative grade point average. You can inquire with the college Honors Program for homeschool high school transcript guidelines.
Your scholarship cannot be awarded until your final transcript has been received. Hand-delivered transcripts are not considered official.
After students are accepted for the PHS, the following is required:
- Successfully complete 12 credit hours each concurrent fall and spring semester, including at least 1 Honors course (3 regular classes and 1 Honors course will count so long as the total credit hours earned is 12)
- Maintain an MCCCD cumulative grade-point-average of 3.25 or higher and be in good standing with Rio Salado
- Complete two co-curricular activities per semester
- Successfully complete HONORS100-00PHS non-credit course each semester
Note: Dual Enrollment grades earned during high school are counted in your cumulative GPA computation.
This scholarship does not cover:
- Any expenses for pass/fail courses with this exception: If pass/fail courses are required for specific degrees/programs, they fall within the scholarship guidelines
- Tuition for summer session
- PHS funds are awarded after all semester courses have passed their first week.
- A past due balance shows in your student center until disbursement of funds.
- The Honors Department will place a Hold on your account to prevent you from being dropped from your classes for non-payment.
PHS Probation and Termination
A Presidents' Honors Scholar whose cumulative Maricopa GPA, including all credits, falls below 3.25 but above 3.0 at the end of the first semester will be placed on probation. The student’s cumulative Maricopa GPA must be raised to 3.25 prior to beginning the third semester;
Students are not eligible for renewal of the scholarship if:
- The cumulative Maricopa GPA, including ALL credits, is below 3.0 at the end of the first semester,
- They fail to complete their Honors coursework or a sufficient number of credit hours,
- They receive less than a “C” grade in their Honors course,
- They do not complete the minimum number of required co-curricular activities,
- They do not maintain a cumulative GPA above 3.25 from second semester to completion,
- They do not complete at least 12 credits in the semester
Honors Program students should not withdraw from courses or alter class schedules without first consulting the Honors Program. Refund, drop/add, withdrawal policies, dates and deadlines apply to all Honors Program students.