Rio Salado's Testing Centers are closed for entrance exams until further notice. Rio Salado has developed a temporary process to help students meet course placement requirements. Please review the temporary COVID-19 exceptions on the MCCCD Course Chart for options.
If GPA, ACT, SAT, GED, or Accuplacer scores are unavailable to you, and you would like to place in English, Reading, or MAT140, 141 or 142, click here: EdReady Placement Option. Please follow the EdReady Instructions.
More Placement Options:
- Accuplacer Advanced Algebra & Functions (AAF): Click here to submit a request for your exam.
- CELSA exam: Click here to submit a request for your exam.
480-517-8560 | firstname.lastname@example.org |
Monday - Thursday 8 a.m. - 9 p.m.
Friday - Saturday 8 a.m. - 5 p.m.
Course Placement and Assessment
Rio Salado College offers multiple placement options for English, math and reading courses:
Placement with GPA on a High School Transcript
If you attended high school within the past 10 years and you have completed at least two years of high school:
- Submit your official high school transcripts for evaluation
Placement with ACT, SAT or GED Score
- ACT and SAT:
- GED taken in or after 2014
- Scores are valid for placement for five years
- Request your GED scores
Placement with a Placement Test
You will need to take a placement test before registering for classes if:
- You are currently a high school freshman/sophomore
- Your high school GPA is below 2.6 and you do not have an eligible ACT, SAT or GED score
- Your high school transcripts are older than 10 years
- You obtained a GED before 2014 or earned a score below 165
- You wish to place into a higher level of English, math, or reading
- Your high school transcripts are from outside the United States
EdReady is a free tool that assesses your English and math knowledge, then creates a personalized study plan so you can master the English and math concepts required for course placement. You can continue working to improve your score until you’ve mastered the concepts needed for placement.
ACCUPLACER is a placement test used at colleges and universities to identify a student’s skill level in English, reading and math.
The CELSA (Combined English Language Skills Assessment) is a computerized test used for course placement into the English as a Second Language program for both English and Reading.
- Accuplacer and CELSA allow students one retest in English, reading or math after a 24-hour waiting period. An additional retest is permitted no sooner than three months from the oldest valid score date.
Having trouble deciding what to use? Our Placement Coach can help. It uses the measures listed above to provide you with course recommendations.
Please refer to the Placement Chart for placement ranges.
You can submit transcripts to Rio Salado College online, by mail and in-person.
- Log in and complete the form online
- Have a digital copy of your unofficial high school transcript, ACT, SAT or GED scores
By Mail and In-Person
Admissions, Records and Registration Office
Rio Salado College
2323 W. 14th St.
Tempe, AZ 85281
For further information visit MCCCD Assessment and Placement
Submitting College Transcripts for Evaluation
You can submit college transcripts from prior college courses in English, math or reading. Learn about the Prerequisite Approval Process.