Departmental Challenge Exams
A departmental challenge exam is a test developed by Rio Salado College that lets you to demonstrate you can meet the learning objectives of a course. Successful completion of these exams allows you to earn credit for that course. The exams are administered at the Rio Salado Tempe Testing Center.
Students may not request:
- To challenge a course a second time
- To challenge a course while currently enrolled in the course
- To establish credit in a previously completed course, and
- To establish credit for a lower level of a course in which credit has been received
Policies and instructions for each department may vary, more information below.
- Exceptions may be granted at some Maricopa County Community College District (MCCCD) colleges for their unique programs of study.
- Certain departments may have additional requirements that must be met before credit may be granted through departmental credit by examination.
- Only grades of A, B, C, D or P earned as a result of this examination are recorded on the student's transcript. Fees are not refundable after the examination has been administered, regardless of results.
- When credit is granted as outlined above, a notation of "credit by examination," a grade and the number of credits appear on the student's transcript. The grade is used in computing the grade point average.