Expanded Functions Dental Assistant Training Course
Rio Salado College’s Expanded Functions Dental Assistant (EFDA) course prepares individuals to meet application requirements for the Arizona State Board of Dentistry’s Expanded Functions Restorative Certificate. The 10-week course combines convenient online instruction and in-person laboratory practice on manikins at the Rio Salado College Dental Clinic. Participants learn to place, contour, and finish direct restorations, place prefabricated crowns and interim therapeutic restorations, and apply sealants and fluoride varnish. All personal protective equipment (PPE), dental instruments, lab materials and supplies, and typodonts are included in the tuition.
This non-credit course is open to dental assistants and registered dental hygienists. Rio Salado’s EFDA course is DANB-approved and meets the requirements of Arizona Revised Statue 32-1291.01. Course content is approved for Arizona state EFDA certification only.
Review the EFDA Application Checklist to ensure you have the necessary documentation ready to upload when applying. Register for the EFDA course below.
For questions or additional information contact Shanna Jennings at email@example.com
Rio Salado Dental Clinic
2250 W. 14th St.
Tempe, AZ 85281
After completing the course, the student will work with their supervising dentist to complete the Licensed Dentist Endorsement (LDE) form for certification as defined by ARS 32-1291.01 (https://dentalboard.az.gov/applications-forms/other-applications)
Tuition is $2,750 and includes all PPE, dental instruments, typodonts, and lab materials and supplies. Participants who require specialized/custom PPE must provide their own.
- Online instruction: January 8 – March 16, 2024
- In-person lab sessions: March 8, 9 and 10, 2024
- Online instruction: May 6 – July 13, 2024
- In-person lab sessions: June 28, 29 and 30, 2024
- Online instruction: September 2 – November 9, 2024
- In-person lab session: October 25, 26 and 27, 2024
There are no prerequisites for registered dental hygienists. To obtain an AZ EFDA certificate, dental assistants must also have:
- Arizona Coronal Polishing Certificate issued by DANB®
- Arizona Radiologic Proficiency Certificate issued by DANB®
- Certified Dental Assistant (CDA) certificate issued by DANB® OR
- Verification of 3500 hours of dental assisting experience within the last 2-4 years
- Head and Neck Anatomy (3 CEUs)
- Dental Morphology (3 CEUs)
- Oral Pathology (3 CEUs)
- Infection Control (3 CEUs)
- Oral Health Prevention (3 CEUs)
- Fluoride (including Silver Diamine Fluoride)
- Caries Process
- Restorative Techniques (8 CEUs)
- Stainless Steel Crowns
- In-Person Labs (24 CEUs)