Exam Proctoring for Rio Salado Students
The Rio Salado College Testing Department has nine testing centers certified by the National College Testing Association (NCTA). The centers administer 60,000 standardized exams annually to students, community members, and organizations.
Services include undergraduate, GED®, placement and admissions exams, certifications, military credentialing, credit for prior learning, exam proctoring, and more.
At some point, you may be asked to take an in-person exam for class placement in English, math and reading or a midterm or final exam for Rio Salado College.
An onsite test proctor is an appointed person who supervises you while you complete the in-person exam. A proctored test helps ensure fairness and academic integrity for all students.
If you Live Outside Maricopa County, Arizona
You may request to have your exams proctored if you:
- Do not live in Arizona's Maricopa County or
- Will not be in Arizona's Maricopa County when you need to take your exam.
Note: You do not need to request an exam proctor if you:
- Live in Maricopa County, Arizona, and you
- Will be in the county when you need to take the in-person exam at one of Rio Salado's Testing Center locations in Maricopa County, Arizona.
How will I Know if I Have to Take an In-person Exam?
If You're Enrolled in a Class
You can learn whether a class has a mid-term or final exam requirement on the class page in RioLearn, Rio Salado's online learning portal. You must complete mid-term and final exams in-person and in the presence of a proctor.
To enroll in some classes, you may be required to first take an ACCUPLACER placement test in English, math or reading. This helps ensure that you are placed in a class that is best suited to your current knowledge level on a particular subject.
If you live in the Maricopa County-Phoenix (Ariz.) area:
- You are required to go to one of Rio Salado's nine testing centers conveniently located throughout the county.
If you live outside the area or are unable to attend a Rio Salado testing center:
You can take your placements exams at an Approved Accuplacer Voucher Testing Site or you can contact the testing center. To learn about other options, contact the Testing.RioLearn@riosalado.edu or (480) 517-8560
Please note the following conditions:
- Voucher testing is arranged for students located outside Maricopa County
- There may be proctoring fees required. The fee is the responsibility of the student.
Students who are out of the country may have limited test sites available. If this applies to you, please contact the Rio Salado Testing center at 480-517-8560 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org
Rio Salado Exam & ACCUPLACER Proctoring Request Process
1. Locate a proctor to see if they are available to proctor your exam.
Most proctors charge a fee for their services and you are responsible for paying any applicable charges. Acceptable Proctors must meet the following criteria:
- Proctors must be from an accredited university, accredited college, or military base. There must be no conflict of interest in having your proctor administer your exams. Approval is at the discretion of Rio Salado.
- University/College - If the proctor is at a university or college, s/he must be an employee of the testing center. If there is no testing center, the proctor must work in Distance Learning, Advising, Counseling, Assessment, Disability Resources, or the Library.
- Military Base - If the proctor is at a military base; s/he must work at the Education Center. The proctor will be the Test Administrator or Test Control Officer at the installation (base, camp, Kaseme, COB, FOB) education center where you are stationed.
NCTA provides a list of NCTA-approved college testing centers that might be located in your area. If your institution/school is not listed, don't worry! This is just a tool to help you look. We work with many proctors outside of this organization.
2. Submit a Proctor Request Form
You must submit a separate request form for every course that requires a proctored exam. If your course has a midterm and final exam, we will send both tests at the same time and you only need to submit one request.
- The time frame for your proctor to receive exam information depends on the accuracy of the information you provide, and their ability to meet the requirements above.
- Exams are sent to proctors within 7 days of the proctor's confirmation. However, the entire process can take up to 3 weeks.
- Late requests - We make every effort to promptly verify the proctor and send the materials. Requests are processed in the order in which they are received. We cannot expedite services and we cannot guarantee an arrival date for your tests. If you believe that you may miss your midterm or final deadline, please contact your instructor to let him/her know your circumstances.
Please Note: As of July 1, 2014 the Rio Salado Testing Department will only conduct communication through official Maricopa Community College email addresses (e.g. ABC1234567@maricopa.edu).
3. Once the proctor is approved
The test materials will be sent to the proctor only. We will send you an email confirming that the tests have been sent. If the proctor is not approved, we will send you an email indicating that you need to locate a new proctor.
4. Contact your proctor
Set an appointment date and taime to take your exam(s).
5. After the examination
The proctor will return the testing materials and you will receive your grade from your instrutor.
Students with Disabilities
Students with a documented disability, who require testing accommodations, must first register with Rio Salado's Disability Office.
If you have questions about your request or placement testing procedures, contact Rio Salado College Testing by email at Testing.RioLearn@riosalado.edu or call (480) 517-8560 or toll free (866) 517-8560 (toll-free).