Addictions and Substance Use Disorders
Truly unsung heroes are the ones who aid and assist in the healing of those struggling with substance abuse. Addiction and substance abuse counselors help not only those with addiction issues, but also those affected by substance abuse in their families, relationships, and communities. If this sounds like a world in which you’d like to lend you skills, consider a career in addiction counseling.
Our courses focus on various medical, emergent, and intervention models, as well as self-help groups, recovery processes, relapse factors, and family dynamics. Our Addictions and Substance Use Disorders program also helps students like you advance toward earning a state or national addiction certification.
Make it happen. Start your future in helping others learn to heal today.
Students at any Maricopa Community College may need to complete courses at more than one of our colleges.
- Flexible Start Dates: You can start almost every Monday of the year - so you can begin class on your schedule.
- Accommodating Course Format: Classes are delivered online - allowing you to schedule time for classwork around your work and family commitments.
- Textbook Options: Most classes have low-cost rental options for textbooks. Some courses use open-educational resources (OER), which correlates to no textbook cost for students.
- Free Tutoring: At Rio, we offer free, online tutoring to offer you additional support.
- 24/7 Helpdesks: Need help? We have help available 24/7.
- Experienced Faculty: Our faculty are working professionals who know their content and want to assist you in successfully completing your courses!
Rio Salado, a NAADAC approved education provider, is committed to support you in achieving your professional and personal advancement goals. We now offer affordable and convenient Continuing Education Seminars, developed and instructed by addictions professionals, designed to meet your busy schedule and allow you to work at your own pace. Each online course provides 15 clock hours of continuing education, at a cost of $89 per seminar.
Learn from Experts in the Field
Rio Salado College is a NAADAC, the Association for Addiction Professionals Approved Education Provider (provider #93246, expiration date 9/1/2021). Our program is accredited by the National Addiction Studies Accreditation Commission (NASAC) and Rio Salado College is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission (HLC). Rio Salado College’s ASD program is led by Faculty Chair Dr. Kirk Bowden, past president of the Association of Addiction Professionals (NAADAC) and past chair of NASAC and the Arizona Board of Behavioral Health Examiners. Dr. Bowden was awarded the Society For Addiction Psychology Award for Distinguished Scientific Contributions to Public Interest at the 2020 American Psychological Association (APA) Annual Conference. This is an award conferred on APA members who've made distinguished and significant contributions to the advancement of public interest in the addictions field.
Students enrolling in this program can expect to learn from instructors who have hands-on, real-world experience in the ASD world.
For a complete course listing, Online Seminars and more, please see our ASD Continuing Education webpage.