Begin learning today’s in-demand skills with the Economics program. Geared towards students who are interested in pursuing a liberal arts degree in economics from a university, this program satisfies the first two years of a 4-year curriculum. You can carry the knowledge you gain from this program over to a variety of careers, including budget and market analyst, marketing specialist, lawyer, economist, controller, urban and regional planner, and teacher.
The Economics program takes a theoretical approach in helping you develop critical thinking skills while analyzing and interpreting domestic and global economic data and learning how to make informed decisions in a variety of contexts using marginal analysis. You’ll learn about economic models and how to use them to interpret and predict economic outcomes and relationships. By the end of this program, you will be able to proficiently express your economic ideas and arguments, as well as flex your creative problem-solving skills in analyzing and recommending solutions to improve economic outcomes.
*This program isn't designed for students planning to transfer to a business economics program. If you plan on majoring in economics at a college of business, follow the Associate in Business-General Requirements (ABUS-GR) pathway.
Students at any Maricopa Community College may need to complete courses at more than one of our colleges.
- Flexible Start Dates: You can start almost every Monday of the year - so you can begin class on your schedule.
- Accommodating Course Format: Classes are delivered online - allowing you to schedule time for classwork around your work and family commitments.
- Textbooks Options: Most classes have low-cost rental options for textbooks. Some courses use open-educational resources (OER), which correlates to no textbook cost for students.
- Free Tutoring: At Rio, we offer free, online tutoring to offer you additional support.
- 24/7 Helpdesks: Need help? We have help available 24/7.
- Experienced Faculty: Our faculty are working professionals who know their content and want to assist you in successfully completing your courses!
Think and learn about how individuals and societies deal with the production, distribution, and consumption of goods and services. The science of economics uses models to help explain and predict outcomes. A model is a simplified version of reality.
At Rio Salado College, you can earn an associate in arts (AA) degree with an emphasis in economics, and directly transfer to one of the state universities. Microeconomics is the study of the individual parts of the economy and is particularly interested in the interaction between buyers and sellers. Main areas of interest include markets and market prices. Macroeconomics is a study of the integrated functioning of the economy. Key areas of interest include output, growth, inflation, and employment.
At Rio Salado College you can receive a base knowledge in each of these areas. We offer the following courses:
Our economics courses are offered in an online format with options to accelerate. This program of study offers low cost and open education resources (OER) textbooks. Rio Salado’s highly qualified instructors have a love for economics as well as sharing this knowledge and working with students on an individual basis.