If you want to better comprehend what’s going on in the world today, you need to understand what has happened in the past. Today’s events do not occur in isolation — they are part of a continuity, a web of interconnected events around the world, stretching back through time. Studying history will give you a sense of our place in this timeline.
Our History program will provide you with a deeper and more informed perspective of the world we live in and the cultures that inhabit it. Get ready to delve into the past, whether it’s world, eastern, western, or American history. The program provides the first two years of a four-year curriculum if you wish to continue on to a four-year institution and specialize in history.
Going on for a bachelor’s or post-graduate degree in history can open the door to various fields, including post-secondary teaching, law, library and archival studies, and museum studies.
Start discovering the past in the History program. Make it happen today.
Students at any Maricopa Community College may need to complete courses at more than one of our colleges.
- Flexible Start Dates: You can start almost every Monday of the year - so you can begin class on your schedule.
- Accommodating Course Format: Classes are delivered online - allowing you to schedule time for classwork around your work and family commitments.
- Textbooks Options: Most classes have low-cost rental options for textbooks.
- Free Tutoring: At Rio Salado, we offer free, online tutoring to offer you additional support.
- 24/7 Helpdesks: Need help? We have help available 24/7.
- Experienced Faculty: Our faculty are working professionals who know their content and want to assist you in successfully completing your courses!
At Rio Salado College, 10 online history courses are offered year-round that cover a variety of time periods, civilizations, and locales:
- HIS100/History of Western Civilization to Middle Ages
- HIS101/History of Western Civilization Middle Ages to 1789
- HIS102/History of Western Civilization 1789 to Present
- HIS103/United States History to 1865
- HIS104/United States History 1865 to Present
- HIS105/Arizona History
- HIS110/World History to 1500
- HIS111/World History 1500 to the Present
- HIS145/History of Mexico
- HIS277/The Modern Middle East
These courses will enable you to see how historical developments have impacted Arizona, the United States, selected countries, or the globe and the human race. What you will study and experience in such courses will lead you to discover more about your place in a world transfixed by historical developments. You will have an opportunity to cultivate an appreciation and understanding of past events (the who, what, when, where, why, and how) to better allow you to examine our contemporary world. As well, you gain a sense of how to compare, prepare for, and connect to future possibilities via past patterns.
Rio Salado’s online classes use a rich mix of instructional components, from detailed course lessons with immersing lecture content to audio-visual materials and thoughtful assessments. Instructional best practices are employed to create a student-centered learning experience.