Do you enjoy people-watching? Is human behavior in society interesting to you? If you’re fascinated with everyday life and how the members of society conduct themselves, your path may lead to a career in sociology.
As a member of society, you know there’s much to study in this field. Our classes help you do everything from conducting research to highlighting various areas of inequalities in class, gender, race, and age. Imagine a future with multiple career options such as a marketing consultant, high school teacher, probation officer, research associate, public health consultant, human resources specialist, social worker, or sociologist.
Make it happen. Start your journey in sociology today.
Students at any Maricopa Community College may need to complete courses at more than one of our colleges.
- Flexible Start Dates: You can start almost every Monday of the year - so you can begin class on your schedule.
- Accommodating Course Format: Classes are delivered online - allowing you to schedule time for classwork around your work and family commitments.
- Textbooks Options: Most classes have low-cost rental options for textbooks. Some courses use open-educational resources (OER), which correlates to no textbook cost for students.
- Free Tutoring: At Rio, we offer free, online tutoring to offer you additional support.
- 24/7 Helpdesks: Need help? We have help available 24/7.
- Experienced Faculty: Our faculty are working professionals who know their content and want to assist you in successfully completing your courses!
Human beings who share a culture and a territory seem compelled to organize themselves into societies. Sociology studies the social context in which people live and how their lives are influenced by these shared influences. It expands our awareness of social relationships and institutions, and helps us understand social problems and unexplored human complexities.
At Rio Salado College you can receive a base knowledge in each of these areas. We offer the following courses:
- SOC101 — Introduction to Sociology (SB)
- SOC157 — Sociology of Families and Relationships (SB)
- SOC212 — Gender and Society (C, SB)
- SOC241 — Race and Ethnic Relations (C, SB)
Our sociology courses are offered in an online format with options to accelerate. This program of study offers low cost and open education resources (OER) textbooks. Rio Salado’s highly qualified instructors have a love for sociology as well as sharing this knowledge and working with students on an individual basis.