This article appears for archival purposes. Any events, programs and/or initiatives mentioned may no longer be applicable.
Take Advantage of Free Counseling for Rio Salado Students
As a student at Rio Salado College, you have access to a variety of student success resources and services. In addition to academic advisement, tutoring, and an extensive library, we have a staff of counselors on hand to offer free guidance for students in need of an outside perspective.
If you feel like you’re going through a rough patch or are unsure of what direction to take with your academic or professional future, talking to a counselor can help you sort through your thoughts and discover pathways and options you may not have considered.
How do I know when I need to see a counselor?
Sometimes anxiety or stress has a way of sneaking up on you. Pay attention to your body and your habits: if you find yourself experiencing or doing any of the following things, this article indicates it could be a sign that it’s time to see a counselor:
- Dealing with sleeping conditions
- Changes in weight
- Low energy/lack of motivation
- Lack of attention to personal appearance or hygiene
- Frequent absence from classes
- Feeling overworked
- Difficulty with concentration
- Being more reclusive than usual
What do other students have to say about counseling?
Here’s what a few students had to say about how our counseling services helped them. Out of respect for their privacy, we’ve omitted their names:
- “I have been looking to move in a new direction in my career. I was seeking a role that would give me a sense of meaning and purpose, a direction that would provide an opportunity to serve others in a creative function. My counselor was helpful in assessing my background and how I might use my skills, abilities, education and talents in new ways and helped me recognize and remember strengths I'd overlooked. She was energetic, insightful and a real source of inspiration to me.”
- “I have accomplished so much since the day I was in your office and thought my life couldn't be worse. During weekly sessions, my counselor helped motivate me and was able to bring a sense of encouragement to my life. She made me realize that I needed to keep fighting. Because of her and my awesome support system (my family), I am now a registered dental hygienist. I am proud to say things are looking brighter today. I have found peace in my life again and I am so excited about all of the great things life has in store for me.”
- “I have been working full time and attending school full time for four years, all while adjusting to being a single parent. If I was unable to acquire the funds needed for the books required for my final courses, my window of opportunity to become a teacher would have closed. With that, the years of work I’ve put into achieving my goal of becoming a teacher would have been lost. Counseling helped by connecting me to the resources I needed. They have altered my life in such a positive way.”
How do I see a counselor?
You can make an appointment by calling 480-517-8785 or filling out this form.