Technology requirements for online learning
When participating in online education courses, it is important to consider the technology needed to have a successful course experience. We recommend that you meet the technical requirements below when using the college learning management system, RioLearn.
Note: For additional required hardware or software requirements for your course(s), refer to the course syllabus and announcements for additional information on their requirements. Please search for the course syllabus on the Rio Class Schedule page.
- A computer (desktop/laptop – Windows 10 or Mac OS) or mobile devices (smartphone/tablet) that is less than 5 years old will work for online learning.
- Please Note: In some cases, Chromebooks are not recommended and may not be compatible with all third-party tools or software used in the course.
- Speakers/headphones for listening to audio or videos presented in your course(s).
You may need a working webcam and microphone for your computer for interacting in course activities that requires video/audio feedback recording from student, test proctoring, tutoring sessions, or other third-party academic apps.
The following software is required:
- Internet Browsers, such as Google Chrome and Mozilla Firefox, are preferred as they are most compatible across all systems and technologies. It is also suggested to use these browsers, or other browsers (Edge/Safari) as an alternate in case one of the browsers is experiencing issues with the course content. Note that Microsoft Edge and Safari browser comes standard with their corresponding operating system.
Download the latest version:
- Adobe Acrobat Reader can be used for viewing PDF files offline - Download
- Java may be required to run lab simulation - Download
- Microsoft Office (includes Microsoft Word, Excel, Access, and PowerPoint).
- Note: Microsoft Access is not available for MacOS
- Students have free access to install the suite on their computers. (For PC/Mac)
Follow the Instructions to install Office 365
A stable High-Speed Internet Connection
Internet Browser(s) and App
Various browsers will be able to access our learning management system, RioLearn. We recommend the following tips:
- Use the latest version of any modern web browser like Chrome, Edge, Firefox or Safari.
- Check for updates. Keeping your browser up-to-date is to keep your computer safe and secure.
- Note: Not recommended to use Internet Explorer. This browser is obsolete and is no longer supported by Microsoft.
- Please make sure Cookies are Allowed on your browser for riosalado.edu and riolearn.org
- Resources, if you need help with clearing cache, disabling pop-up blockers, and enabling cookies.
- RioLearn mobile app is available for your (smartphone/tablet) devices. You can download the app from either your Google Play Store or Apple App Store if your device is compatible.